LEECH: The Medicaid
With that settled, you get to choose what's referred to as your "arch
type". You see, the Leech's are very well organized, if far from cooperative.
But in the beginning, this wasn't the case. No, back in antiquity, they were
organized even worse than these rules. Then, sometime during the Renaissance,
a young architect named Nathanial Andrew d'Manor (Nat 'Drew d'Manor, to his
friends) was indoctrinated. He came up with a system of classifying Leeches
and of organizing their operations, all based around arch building...so, these
days, every Leech must select an Arch Type. Actually, what you pick is what
part of an Arch you'd most like to be, as per;
- Support staff. Not technically OF the profession, Abutements
are the janitors, procurement officers, and sometimes administrators...
- The person really in charge, but not the one in the spotlight.
Powers behind the thrones, Springers are excellent at giving direction without
showing themselves as noticeably different from anyone else.
- The people Springers are in charge of. Voussoirs are the
`extras' of the medical profession - the bulk of the people, but rarely
noticed. A good choice for Leeches who don't want too much attention -
Nosoferous often find this useful.
- Not like the Kops; the Keystone is at the summit of
Voussoirdom. These are usually the surgeons and head doctors, at the center
of the action the Springers direct.
- The Extrados are on the outer curve of things - mostly the
spokesmen for the profession, and not necessarily real `performers'.
- The inverse of the Extrados, though they can be difficult to tell
apart. The Pier put up the walls against the press, blocking access and view
to the information the Leeches don't want becoming public knowledge by
whatever means necessary.
- The Impost is the motivational force - the pep squad, as it were,
or perhaps more like a congressional Whip; the Springers use Imposts to get
the Voussoir's moving. Some Imposts take the saccharine-sweet approach of
offering rewards, while others find that bad for the teeth and prefer the
harsh rulership of fear.
- On the inside track, the Intrados shun public contact and do the
things the Pier work so hard to hide - the worst of animal, and sometimes even
human, testing is done by the Intrados, as is most of the accounting.
Left takes you back to the overview of the Plans.
Right takes you on a trip to the Attriboats.